The records of the Oberlin Woman’s Club document the organization’s contribution to the Oberlin Community, as well as commitment to both intellectual improvement and service work. The collection contains minutes of general and executive board meetings, 1901‑75, and minutes of meetings of the following departments: history, 1927‑ 75; literature, 1919‑75; history and literature, 1975‑79; home and garden, 1955‑61; and social progress, 1955-67. Also included in the records are annual reports, 1961‑81; newspaper clippings, memoranda and photographs concerning a variety of projects; constitutions, 1901‑79; yearbooks, 1901-81, annual programs in the community, 1901‑81; financial records, 1926‑81; membership records, 1901‑49; and histories, 1901‑26, 1951, and 1981. Separate folders contain information about the club's numerous projects. There is minimal correspondence in the collection. Publications of the General Federation and the Ohio Federation of Women’s Clubs (FWC) are also included.
Series I. Annual Reports, 1961-81 (3 folders)
Contains the annual reports and supporting materials from the club’s final two decades, 1961-81.
Series II. Constitutions, 1901-79 (1 folder)
This series contains the handwritten 1901 constitution with members’ signatures as well as the subsequent revisions (1921, 1931, 1965, 1979).
Series III. Departments and Committees, 1919-79 (8 folders, 5 volumes)
Consists of the materials related to the club’s departments, including the minutes from the History, Literature, History and Literature, Home and Garden, and Social Progress departments. Also included are the reports from the Civic Committee and the financial records and disbursements of the School and Welfare Committee.
Series IV. Executive Board / General Meeting Minutes, 1901-81 (3 folders, 13 volumes)
The set of minutes from the Executive Board and the General meetings of the Oberlin Woman’s Club span the 80 years of the club’s existence.
Series V. Financial, 1926-81 (4 folders, 9 volumes)
Documentation concerning the financial records of the Oberlin Woman’s Club is contained in this series. There are seven volumes of the Treasurer’s Account Book, 1926-74, two volumes of the Civic Committee’s financial records, 1935-36, as well as miscellaneous financial documents 1966-81.
Series VI. Historical, 1922-81, n.d. (5 folders, 1 volume)
The History of the Oberlin Woman’s Club, 1901-1981, completed by Harriet Long and Manette Swetland in 1981, as well as earlier histories, 1901-26, 1951, and information on the 65th anniversary activities are contained in this series. The numerous citations and certificates, 1960-76, n.d. document the variety of local and global programs to which the Oberlin Woman’s Club contributed.
Series VII. Membership, 1901-41, n.d. (1 folder)
This series consists of the membership records from the club’s early years, 1901-41.
Series VIII. Newspaper Clippings, 1922-81,n.d. (12 folders)
The newspaper clippings organized by topic, 1922-81, provide additional information on the club’s history and community service at home and abroad.
Series IX. Photographs, ca. 1912, 1951,1960-81
Fourteen (14) photographs contained in this series document the club’s participation in the Ohio FWC, as well as the local activities, such as adult education, running the thrift shop, and donations to the Allen Memorial Hospital. There is also a 1981 reprint of the 50th anniversary photograph taken in 1951. The reprint was made from the wooden newspaper cut of the photograph. A photograph of the club’s members, ca. 1912, is also included.
Series X. Programs related to the local community, 1930-77, n.d. (16 folders)
This series documents the club’s philanthropic activities in the Oberlin Community, including their longstanding commitment to scholarship programs, 1930-67. The bulk of materials cover the club’s later years, 1963-77. Included in this series are files related to the Allen Memorial Hospital gift, the Adult education project, Clean City Campaigns, Earth Day and Environmental activities, the Music Therapy project, and scholarships for local students.
Series XI. Publications, 1901-81, n.d. (3 folders, 85 booklets)
Subseries 1. Oberlin Woman’s Club, 1901-81, n.d.
This series consists of the yearbooks of the Oberlin Woman’s Club, 1901-81, which provide the complete membership record of the organization. Also included are the programs from various Oberlin Woman’s Club and Ohio FWC events, 1922-72, n.d.
Subseries 2. Other organizations, 1907-80, [1970-76] (3 folders)
Contains 13 issues of the Ohio FWC’s The Buckeye and 3 issues of the General Federation’s Club Woman. The 1940/41 issue of The Buckeye includes the prize winning play “Her Woman’s Intuition” written by Oberlin Woman’s Club member Mrs. Newell L. Sims. A typewritten copy is inserted into the magazine. The various programs and printed matter belong to the Ohio FWC, the Lakeside FWC, and the Oberlin Community Chamber Singers.
Series XII. Scrapbooks 1970-74(1 book)
This series contains the Clean City Campaign scrapbook, 1970-74.